I’m sure it has happened to all of us – someone sent you a connection request, but you don’t know who they are. What is the proper procedure?
You can connect, then send them a message asking to get to know a little more about them and their company… or you can reach out to them before connecting to determine whether they are a professional you would actually like to have in your network. Here are 3 ways you can reach out without connecting:
- Reply Without Accepting: From your LinkedIn message center, click on invitations. You have the ability to communicate with that professional without accepting the invitation to connect with this feature.
- Open Profile: Go to their profile – if they have an Open Profile, you can send a free InMail message to that person. If they do not have an Open Profile, you can send an InMail message to that person.
- Scroll over the ‘Add Connection’ Icon on the top right of your page.
- Clicking on the word ‘Invitations’ will populate a People You May Know page, move your cursor over the message icon (looks like an quotation sign) on the pending invitation, then hit the arrow to reply.
These features are available for the Free and the Premium Versions, however in order to have your ‘Open Profile’ feature, you must be a Premium member.
- Be the first to give to your new business relationships
- Always pay it forward
- Network with purpose.
Good luck and good networking! Remember… It’s All About Leverage.